Nusa Penida is a beautiful island in Bali province, Indonesia, that offers stunning scenery, amazing beaches, and incredible diving and snorkeling opportunities.
If you are staying in Ubud, the cultural and artistic hub of Bali, you might wonder how to get to Nusa Penida for a day trip or a longer stay.
I will explain the different options and steps you need to take to reach this paradise island from Ubud.
Book a tour package
The easiest and most convenient way to get to Nusa Penida from Ubud is to book a tour package that includes hotel transfer, fast boat tickets, island tour, and same day return to Bali. There are many tour operators that offer this service, such as GetYourGuide, Klook, and Viator.
Choose from different itineraries that cover the main attractions of Nusa Penida, such as Kelingking Beach, Broken Bay, Angel’s Billabong, Diamond Beach, Atuh Beach, and more. The prices range from $60 to $100 per person, depending on the tour company and the inclusions.
The advantages of booking a tour package are:
- You don’t have to worry about arranging your own transport and tickets.
- You can save time and hassle by having a guide and driver who know the best routes and spots on the island.
- You can enjoy the company of other travelers and make new friends.
The disadvantages of booking a tour package are:
- You have less flexibility and freedom to explore the island at your own pace.
- Might miss some hidden gems or off-the-beaten-path places that are not included in the tour.
- You might have to share a crowded boat and car with other tourists.
Arrange your own trip
If you prefer to have more independence and adventure, you can also arrange your own trip to Nusa Penida from Ubud.
This option requires more planning and effort, but it also gives you more control and satisfaction. Here are the steps you need to take:
Get to Sanur
Sanur is the main port where you can catch a fast boat to Nusa Penida. To get there from Ubud, you have several options:
Hire a private driver or car
This is the most comfortable and convenient option, but also the most expensive. You can expect to pay around 300,000 IDR ($21) for a one-way trip that takes about an hour.
Take a shuttle bus or minivan
This is a cheaper and more eco-friendly option, but also less reliable and flexible. You can book your ticket online or at any travel agent in Ubud. The price is around 80,000 IDR ($5.5) per person for a one-way trip that takes about 90 minutes.
Rent a scooter or motorbike
This is the cheapest and most adventurous option, but also the most risky and challenging. You need to have a valid international driving license, good driving skills, and a sense of direction.
Rent a scooter or motorbike in Ubud for around 50,000 IDR ($3.5) per day. The drive to Sanur takes about an hour.
Take a fast boat to Nusa Penida
Once you arrive in Sanur, you need to buy your fast boat ticket to Nusa Penida. There are many fast boat companies that operate daily from Sanur to Nusa Penida, such as Maruti Express, Crown Fast Cruises, Mola Mola Express, and Angel’s Billabong Fast Cruise.
The prices range from 150,000 IDR ($10) to 250,000 IDR ($17) per person for a one-way ticket. The journey takes about 30 to 45 minutes.
The advantages of taking a fast boat are:
- You can enjoy the scenic views of the ocean and the islands along the way.
- Choose from different departure times throughout the day.
- You can book your ticket online or on the spot.
The disadvantages of taking a fast boat are:
- You might experience delays or cancellations due to weather conditions or technical issues.
- You might get wet or seasick during the ride.
- Might have to pay extra fees for luggage or insurance.
Explore Nusa Penida
Once you arrive in Nusa Penida, you need to find a way to explore the island. There are two main options:
Hire a car or scooter with driver
This is the most convenient and comfortable option, but also the most expensive. You can expect to pay around 500,000 IDR ($35) for a full-day car rental with driver, or around 300,000 IDR ($21) for a full-day scooter rental with driver.
The driver will take you to the places you want to see and wait for you while you enjoy them.
Rent a scooter or motorbike
This is the cheapest and most flexible option, but also the most risky and challenging. You need to have a valid international driving license, good driving skills, and a sense of direction.
You can rent a scooter or motorbike in Nusa Penida for around 70,000 IDR ($5) per day. The roads on the island are very bumpy, steep, and narrow, so be careful and drive slowly.
The advantages of exploring Nusa Penida by yourself are:
- You can decide where to go and how long to stay at each place.
- Discover some hidden gems or off-the-beaten-path places that are not crowded with tourists.
- Enjoy the freedom and adventure of riding a scooter or motorbike on an island.
The disadvantages of exploring Nusa Penida by yourself are:
- Might get lost or miss some attractions due to poor signage or lack of information.
- Might encounter some difficulties or dangers on the road, such as flat tires, accidents, or police checkpoints.
- You might have to pay extra fees for parking or entrance at some places.
Nusa Penida is a must-see destination for anyone who loves nature, beaches, and adventure. Whether you choose to book a tour package or arrange your own trip, you will surely have an unforgettable experience on this island. Just remember to plan ahead, be prepared, and have fun!